How do I add distribution services to a book?
Enabling your title for distribution is quick and easy.
- When you log into your Lightning Source account, click on the title of your book, and scroll down the Title Details page. You should see a box with a blue button that says “Enable.”
- Click the “Enable” button, and a new window will appear confirming that you want to enable or add distribution.
- Once you confirm, you will be asked if you would like to promote your title in our Ingram Advance catalog. More info about Ingram Advance can be found here.
- Once you have proceeded past the "promote your title" section, you will see a charge of $12.00 for the yearly distribution fee for our POD distribution service.
- Click “I Accept” and your title will be sent to the retailers and libraries in our global network.
- Books will be available for sale in the markets you provide pricing for. If you do not provide pricing in a specific market, your books will not be sold there.
Does it cost to add distribution services to my book?
The Market Access Fee is a $12.00 for US/AU, £7.00 UK and, €8 for EU yearly fee that provides access to Ingram’s distribution channels. You can read more about the Market Access Fee here.
How do stores find out about a book?
Ingram sends a metadata feed containing all the information and pricing for your books to more than 39,000 bookstores, libraries, and retail outlets all over the world. Ingram's customers and Print-On-Demand distribution channel partners will upload the metadata for your book to their website and will decide if they want to sell the book through their website. A store can search for your book on Ingram Book Company's iPage website or other websites and see the metadata linked to it.
*Ingram allows your book to be available for sale, but there is no guarantee that stores or libraries will order your book. We cannot guarantee sales.
*It is up to the publisher to market and promote the book to consumers, bookstores, retailers, and libraries, so they know it is available for sale.
How long does it take for a book to appear on retailer websites?
During the title setup process, once you click the enable button to add distribution services to your book, it can take 2-6 weeks before appearing on retailer websites or on a distributor or retailer’s internal ordering system. Depending on the time of year, it can less than 2-6 weeks and you may see pieces of information appear and then disappear (depending on the distribution partner) until the title information and cover are fully uploaded onto websites.
Where will my books be sold?
A full list of distribution partners can be found here.
Which distribution partner or retailer ordered books?
We are unable to provide any specific sales information as to which bookstore, retailer or library purchased the book(s). Ingram is a private, family-owned company and sales information for the retailer or library who purchased the book(s) is proprietary information and cannot be shared.
When is compensation paid for books sold through Ingram's global distribution network?
The sale of the book is added to your monthly compensation report when it ships from our print facility. You receive the compensation payment 90 days from the end of the month in which the book was shipped from the print facility. The compensation payment schedule can be found here.
How do consumers order books?
Consumers are able to order your book through bookstores, online retailer websites, or directly from you, the publisher. Only the publisher has access to order directly from Lightning Source.